5.14.2016

Just Another Day 2: Perchance to Dream

Just Another Day 2 is a story set nine years after Just Another Day. Once more, it is meant to inspire. It is, after all, a work of fiction. If you find a few truths along the way, that is okay.

Since the dawn of ages, dreams have played an important role in the evolution of mankind. Without them, there would be no innovation - no change. For they are what drive the spirit of man forward. That which gives them their passion - their sense of ambition. Dreams can sometimes carry quite powerful messages. Often overlooked in a constantly advancing world. One need only listen and the truths of the universe will become known. A world unto itself awaits those with patience...

YouTube Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgmrFVbc429d1M1mSvAg0eznCbuZQzBxZ

Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Mezame (Awakening)
-- Part 0: Kurēdoru (Cradle)
-- Part 1: Mōninguguddoagein (Good Morning Again)
-- Part 2: Watashi wa Furansu o Mimasu... (I See France...)
-- Part 3: Saidai no Kyōfu no Jikan (Hour of Greatest Fright)
- Chapter 2: Kisei (Homecoming)
-- Part 1: Mother (Earthbound)
-- Part 2: Maiku (Mike)
-- Part 3: Taishō/Bochi (Symmetry/Cemetery)
- Chapter 3: Se Leva (Rose)
-- Part 1: Aéroporté (Airborne)
-- Part 2: Arrivées (Arrivals)
-- Part 3: Seconde Vue (Second Sight)
- Chapter 4: Fin (End)
-- Part 1: Découverte (Discovery)
-- Part 2: La Obliger (The Force)
-- Part 0: Home

As Just Another Day 2 begins, we row our boat gently down the stream;
For life is but a dream...





Chapter 1: Mezame (Awakening)
Now with more head turns than Linda Blair in The Exorcist!

Part 0: Kurēdoru (Cradle)

I opened my weary eyes to a magnificent sight before me. A familiar lake shimmering with a sparkle of light from above. Surrounding which were some of the most beautiful cherry blossom trees. In full bloom, their peddles blew to the lake below before slowly washing ashore. I sensed a certain magic in the air. And then I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder. A voice said with awe, "Were you looking for me?" I turned to face this mysterious stranger to find they were no stranger at all. It was my late father. He said with a smile on his face, "I'm proud of you, son. I bask in the light we created as a family." I said in surprise, "Is this what I think it is?" My father replied simply, "Everything is in the eye of the beholder. You will come to learn many things in time. Your journey has only just begun." He paused for a moment before saying, "Ah, I see there are sailboats out on the lake!" I turned back to see the sailboats and said with a degree of confusion, "Wait, those weren't there a moment ago!" Just like that, my father was gone. Another one of his sleight of hands. He always enjoyed the art of manipulation. I never forgot the stories he shared with me. Somewhere, beyond the lake, I could hear a strange buzzing sound. It seemed to be growing louder by the second. My surroundings became less and less clear. I felt a tugging sensation and the next thing I knew, I found myself in bed...

Part 1: Mōninguguddoagein (Good Morning Again)

The day began just like any other; to the sound of my alarm robot flashing seven in the morning. I spoke my verbal command to deactivate its wake mode, "Watashi wa appu shite imasu!" In other words, I am up! I stepped out of bed and drew open the shades of my apartment. I said with a smile, "My favorite prefecture. Tokyo!" It never ceased to amaze me with its exotic shopping, entertainment and dining opportunities. Though they had gone out of style in recent years, a pachinko arcade still operated down the street from my humble abode. I happened to notice a blinking blue light on my HoloVisor as I glanced over at my desk. I wondered who could be contacting me at such an early hour. Donning the headset, I pressed play on the video message. It was a report from my colleague in the United States. His message read, "Konichiwa, Pōru, I am calling to let you know the test was successful. Project Dandelion is up and running. There were a few scattered bugs, but they should be squashed before the big reveal. If you could connect to Plutonium for yourself, that would be most helpful. I have established a virtual office on the private server. In closing, as my father would say, may the Force be with you!" Liam and I had discussed Project Dandelion on a number of occasions. It was one of those projects that seemed more ambitious as time went on.

Before venturing into Plutonium, I decided to brew myself a cup of herbal green tea. I lacked fresh leaves, but had plenty of sencha and matcha packets in my kitchen cupboard. I boiled a pot of water, poured it into a Tokyo Disneyland cup, and proceeded to dip the tea bag until the water turned green. As I sipped its contents, I read the inscription on the cup, "Where dreams come true." It was then I remembered that morning's dream. I found it interesting in that my father usually had very little to say in previous dreams. It was as if he was composing a Twitter message. Not one to share these thoughts with others, I buried them deep within before returning to my desk. I had never been the biggest fan of Plutonium. Just something funny about having my conscious state dictated by a computer. It did, however, certainly open the door to a whole new dimension of gaming. Even the blind could experience and fully immerse themselves in virtual worlds. I made myself comfortable back in bed, attached the Plutonium headgear and then closed my eyes. I could only hope I did not encounter any serious bugs in Liam's new code...

Part 2: Watashi wa Furansu o Mimasu... (I See France...)

The simulated day began just like any other; to the sight of a world being constructed in fast motion. I approached the virtual office on foot. I had previously attempted a fancy approach from the air, but miscalculated the flight path in relation to the ground. Suffice it to say, I would not be trying that again. The office was rather typical in appearance. A two story building with space enough for several simultaneous meetings. If needed, virtual computer equipment could be programmed into the meeting rooms and synced with the computers in the outside world. As I entered the main hall, I was greeted by Liam. With a seemingly anxious look on his face, he said, "Good to see you! Are you ready to make history?" I just stood there for a moment before calmly replying, "Sure, why not? Will anyone else be joining us today?" Liam said in a hurry, "Blake and Isabella are waiting for us in the event hall." If this went badly, I thought, I would not be alone in the embarrassment.

Everyone became reacquainted in the event hall. Blake, who I had not seen in several months, made an apparent joke about my racial background. He said with a chuckle, "It's my secret Asian man!" For the record, I was only half Asian. My Japanese half wanted to sweep the comment under the metaphorical rug, but my Irish half wanted to sudo chop him. Isabella said in a kind voice, "Hello, Pōru. It's nice to see you again." Before I could muster a response, Liam said, "Okay, let's get this show on the road!" He instructed us to sit in a circle. Calling an access terminal into the program, he enabled the Project Dandelion code. The effect was nearly instantaneous. I felt my awareness being pulled outward in several directions at once. It was a bit like a ride at an amusement park. Liam quietly said to the group, "Think of two places you've always wanted to visit." I thought of Paris and San Francisco. The feeling which followed remains difficult to explain. It was as if I were in two places at the same time. I simultaneously climbed the Eiffel Tower and walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. Even my thoughts were independent from one another. I noted the number of stairs on the Eiffel Tower, 704, and how the Golden Gate Bridge was most certainly not painted gold. I looked out over Paris, from the most majestic angle in all of France, and marveled at the sunset over the San Francisco bay...

Part 3: Saidai no Kyōfu no Jikan (Hour of Greatest Fright)

Liam said with excitement, "This is fun, but I think we can crank Dandelion up a notch. I'm increasing the number of concurrent places to three." Isabella, a bit worried about the extra power, said swiftly, "Be careful, Liam. We've never tested with this many people before." Liam replied sharply, "I know what I'm doing. My father taught me everything I know about his software." He went on to say, "While remaining in your two place state, think of a third." Still looking out over Paris' Eiffel Tower and San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, I thought of my childhood home outside Kyoto. A place as wondrous as any other. My family lived in a rural home with a harmonious zen garden. That which had never failed to inspire peaceful thoughts within myself. I could almost see my father standing there in the garden. I could almost reach out to him. Suddenly, I heard a voice calling to me. It did not appear to be from the zen garden. It said in a frantic tone, "Descendez maintenant, monsieur!" A French police officer was standing beside me on the Eiffel Tower. I knew very little French, but I could assume this officer was instructing me to come down from the tower. I did as he wished and began my descent. As I approached the midway point, I slipped on a step and found myself dangling over the San Francisco bay. As my grip slowly gave out, I thought to myself, "Why do I even get up in the morning?" I fell into the grimy waters below.

Somewhere, I knew not from where, I could hear the clanking of gears. Everything had gone dark the moment I hit the water. A familiar voice said with sorrow, "This just progressed too damn fast. I wish we had more time," but as the voice added, "There will be no more pain now." I could then see a bright light before me. One hand reached out for another. There appeared to be caring individuals standing around to bear witness to this event. It was both heartwarming and horrifying. The individual from before said while apparently fighting back tears, "I love you, Dad!" His father replied with a smile on his face, "I love all y'all!" The light quickly enveloped all that I could see. It was the brightest thing I had ever seen in my life. Slowly, I adjusted to the effects of the light, and could see a rustic looking door at the end of a long and very ancient corridor. I cautiously approached the door. Trembling with fear, I hesitated to open it. My hands shaking profusely. Before I could make a decision, the door sprung open on its own. A bearded man I did not immediately recognize stood tall within. He smiled and said, "Pōru! What a good name. It too was my name. Though I pronounced it Paul." I nervously asked the man of how he knew me and he said with a grin, "You're my grandson!" I had no time to process as Liam suddenly yelled out in terror, "I'm pulling the plug now! Blake's heart rate is out of control!" Everything had once again gone dark, but this time I found myself back in my Tokyo apartment.

I quickly tossed the Plutonium headgear aside, rose from bed and hurried to contact Liam on my HoloVisor. A few moments later, he answered. I said in a panic, "What the hell just happened? That was some truly otherworldly stuff!" Liam, appearing to be in damage control mode, replied calmly, "I think it best if we take a few days to recover. How are you feeling right now?" I said in a fret, "I feel fine, but I don't know how to process some of the things I experienced." Noticeably agitated, Liam replied, "I saw some weird stuff myself. Isabella told me she spoke with her deceased aunt. Blake is too traumatized to even speak. Let's just take a few days off." I took a deep breath and calmly said, "Alright, Liam, if you truly think it best. Give Blake my regards!" I discontinued the video stream, sat the HoloVisor on my desk and stood quietly in front of my drawn shades. Overlooking Tokyo, I thought about my life up to that point. I moved to be closer to the heart of the technology industry. I was beginning to wonder if I chose the right profession. My thoughts were interrupted by a sudden crash down in the street. Peering down from my window, I could see that several cars had collided with one another. I rushed downstairs, all the while thinking about my fancy legwork on the Eiffel Tower, and carefully made my way out onto the sidewalk for a closer look. A driver shouted in an apparent daze, "Watashi wa kimyōna oto ni ki o tora remashita!" He appeared to be distracted by strange sounds. Another driver screamed, "Sore wa watashi no imōtodeshita. Watashi wa kanojo ga jishin de ushinawa reta to omoimashita. Kanojo wa watashi no tonari ni suwatte imashita!" The driver's sister, who had perished in an earthquake, was apparently sitting next to her in the car. I felt a touch of fatigue. I just knew Liam's Project Dandelion had something to do with this. I decided to leave town. I wanted to pay my mother a visit in Kyoto...

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 2: KISEI (HOMECOMING)!

As Chapter 1 comes to a close, a familiar voice says...





Chapter 2: Kisei (Homecoming)
Now with more countryside bonding than City Slickers!

Part 1: Mother (Earthbound)

The day began just like any other, but it had certainly not unfolded like any other. I could maybe write off the Plutonium experience as a simulation gone wrong, but there were parts of it which seemed almost too surreal. My father spoke of his father on occasion. However, I could not recall if I ever saw a photograph of him. That is to say nothing of what happened outside my apartment. Individuals outside the Project Dandelion group experiencing strange occurrences. I had to wonder whether or not it Was an isolated incident. If the effects were to become global... "Next stop, Kyoto Station!" The train conductor called out to any and all passangers departing at the Kyoto Station. In my distant state of mind, I almost missed the announcement. As I departed the train, I happened to notice a tiny flower shop, selling everything from momo to sakura. Hopefully, I thought, they were not carrying any dandelions. An older couple sat quietly on a bench beside the shop. I said as I passed, "Sore wa sutekina tsuitachidesu." It is a lovely day. I came to a small stone bridge and could not help but admire the greenery of the season. A shallow stream of water passed just under the bridge. It made a very peaceful sound. I slowly approached the outskirts of Kyoto. I thought I was in the clear, but as I passed through a village, I overheard a man shouting at thin air. He said in a daze, "Anata ga shinda toki ni anata no ie ga hanbai sa remashita! Watashi wa anata o tsutaeru hōhō ga wakarimasen!" Whomever this man was talking to had apparently lost his house when he died. I held my head down and continued along my journey to my mother's house.

Beyond the village, I passed by an old creek. I could smell the alluring scent of the honeysuckle and kinmokusei. I had made this trek before. As a child in the company of my father. There was just something about it that always filled us with inspiration. Every once in a while, we would catch a glimpse of tanuki and colorful butterflies. I came around the bend, and off in the distance, I could see my childhood home. It was a sight for sore eyes. Upon arriving at the house, I proceeded to knock on the door. My mother unlocked the door. She gazed into my eyes and mine into hers, and she said, "Pōru!?! Why have you not come to see your mother sooner, dear boy?" I said with tender eyes, "The Tokyo life was just too alluring." My mother said with a heavy heart, "Well, don't just stand there. Take off your shoes and come in!" I removed my shoes and contemplated a seat in our old rocking chair. She said with a smile, "Sit, sit! I am about to make some tea!" My mother returned a few moments later with two cups of freshly brewed herbal green tea. As she passed one cup to me, she said, "I just cut the leaves this morning." I sipped its contents and said in awe, "This is the freshest cup of tea I've had in years!" My mother, always the intuitive one, said while leaning forward with her head resting on her arm, "So, what really brought you by today?" I sat the cup down and said with goosebumps, "Dad. We need to talk about dad. We need to talk about Mike..."

Part 2: Maiku (Mike)

My mother took a deep breath and slowly leaned back into her chair. Grasping for her lip, she said, "Mike... your father. Has it really been three years already? I still remember our first meeting at Cherry Blossom Lake. It was anything but just another day." I had heard of my father's unusual trip back to the United States in 2046, but previously written it off as a fairy tale. I leaned forward and said with frayed nerves, "Is it true what he said? Did he..." My mother interjected and said, "When your father returned from his long trip, he had a strange look about him. He tried to stay quiet about what had happened, but I knew something was off. He eventually opened up to me..." She paused for a moment and said, "I believe what he said. As weird as his experience was." I said while peering out the window, "Mom, I don't know if you have noticed, but some very strange things have been happening today." My mother suddenly stood up and walked over to the window. She said while glancing out at the fields of Kyoto, "Have you seen him? Your father... have you seen him?" I joined my mother beside the window and said with tenderness, "He appeared to me in a dream this morning. He told me he basks in the light we created as a family." She shed a single tear, sat back down and quietly sipped her tea.

My mother, Noemi, clearly effected by my visit, said while holding her cup firmly in hand, "Did he ever tell you why he came back from death?" I glanced over at her and said, "No, not that I can recall." She finished her tea and said, "He came back for you, Pōru. You were his unfinished business. The fates, it would seem, allowed him a few more years to bond with you." For once in my life, I felt speechless. My mother continued, "His father became ill and passed away rather suddenly. This left him with many unanswered questions. He didn't want the same to happen to you." She picked up our tea cups, returned to the kitchen and said aloud, "You need to speak with Refael. He was a trusted friend of your father's. He will know what to do next." I entered the kitchen and said with a funny grin, "How would I go about finding Refael?" My mother said rather cryptically, "He will find you." Uncertain what to make of that statement, I gave my mother a hug and said with a smile, "I love you, mom. Take care of yourself. Let's do this more often, okay?" I left my childhood home behind and began a trek to the cemetery where my father was laid to rest in 2052. It seemed like the most logical place to go next...

Part 3: Taishō/Bochi (Symmetry/Cemetery)

I approached the gates of the Tengoku Shrine. Passing through the main shrine, I happened to catch the scent of incense sticks. I was reminded of a certain temple that which sat atop a majestic stairway surrounded by cherry blossoms, flowing streams of water and every manner of creature known to Japan. I slowly entered the graveyard. As I often did when visiting that place, I read off the names of those I walked past. It helped prepare me for the grim reality of seeing my father's own plot. I came to a stop just shy of his burial site. A stray dog had wandered into the cemetery. I called out to it, but it seemed more interested in chasing butterflies. It seemed like a curious sight to see. I sat down beside my father and said with tenderness, "I am here. What should I do now?" Of course, there was no response. I said aloud with a tear in my eye, "Ugh, why has everyone but mother and I been seeing their departed loved ones? Is this not like one of your stories?" My tear fell onto the grave below. With a slight jitter, I wiped my face with one hand and said, "Oh, God, what am I even doing here?"

A voice called out to me from across the graveyard, "Konichiwa, Pōru!" I rose to face the stranger and said, "Do I know you?" The stranger said with a smile on his face, "I know all about you. As I am sure you know all about me, even if you cannot recall my face!" I replied with a look of discern, "Refael? Are you Refael?" He then said with a bright glow about him, "Yes, but what's in a name?" Refael paused for a moment and said, "You came to see your father I see. You came a long way from Paris." I felt a sudden chill down my spine. I nervously replied, "Paris? I came from Tokyo." Refael looked me straight in the eye and said, "Do you really know where anyone comes from? Pōru, I am going to be blunt. You have a choice to make. You can remain here in Japan with your friends in cyberspace or you can do something truly special with your time here on Earth." I said with a look of confusion, "What did you have in mind?" Refael looked to the sky and said, "See the world. Not as you see it in Plutonium. See it with open eyes. Mingle with people near and far. Partake in exotic new activities. Leave your comfort zone far behind." I said in further confusion, "Yeah, but where should I start?" Refael said simply, "You can start by not standing on your father's grave." I looked down to see where I was standing and said, "Whoops!" As I looked back, Refael was nowhere to be seen. My father always said Refael was a bit eccentric. I took one last look at my father's grave, calmly collected myself and left the cemetery. C'est la vie...

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 3: SE LEVA (ROSE)!

As Chapter 2 comes to a close, we say sayonara to Japan...





Chapter 3: Se Leva (Rose)
Now with more intrigue than Roman Polanski's Frantic!

Part 1: Aéroporté (Airborne)

Japan had been my home since birth. It was a place I always cherished for its adorably weird culture and exotic landscapes. I never could bring myself to leave. That is, until that very afternoon. I found myself standing awkwardly in the Tokyo Spaceport, waiting to pay for my fair to a far away land. Glancing up at the outgoing monitor, I happened to notice a number of flights had been abruptly cancelled. The terminal was mostly devoid of traffic. The few travelers I did see appeared to be in a hurry to get wherever they were going. I approached the ticket counter and the lady behind said, "Hello, sir. How may I help you?" I said in a hustle, "I need to buy a ticket out of Japan." The lady said with a smile on her face, "I know, sir, but to where are you traveling?" I said with glee, "La ville de l'amour. Paris!" Her smile grew more intense and she said, "Alright, your ticket will be ready in just a moment. There will be a bit of a wait for your flight. I hope you don't mind." I took my ticket and sat near the window of the terminal. Outside, there appeared to be a frenzy on the streets of Tokyo. I could only imagine what was transpiring the world over. I decided to give Liam a call from the air as soon as my flight was set to depart. I needed to know how he and the rest of his team were fairing.

I boarded the flight and took my seat beside a window. Not wishing to witness the takeoff, I quickly shuttered it. Air travel always did make me a bit queasy. With the obvious exception of Soarin' Around the World at Tokyo Disneyland. I used the onboard HoloVisor to contact Liam in the United States. As I waited for him to answer, I felt the plane leave the ground. It was an unusual experience. Liam answered in an apparent panic, "Pōru!? where have you been? I've been trying to reach you all afternoon!" I said with a heavy heart, "I went to see my parents outside Kyoto." Liam curiously replied, "Both of them? Nevermind. Some very strange things have been happening here. People are seeing things. I thought it was limited to Indiana at first, but it appears to be everywhere. It's all over the news." Liam paused as he tried to collect himself. He added with much grief, "I did this. Project Dandelion did this." I said with a comforting smile, "We don't know that. Anything could have caused this. Yes, I've noticed people acting very strangely myself." Liam stared at me for a good moment and said, "Where are you now? I hear the unmistakable sound of a jet." I said reluctantly, "Right now? Over the Sea of Japan. I am on my way to Paris." Liam said in shock, "Paris? Really?" I said with confidence, "Oui, Paris. Are you surprised to see me leave Japan?" Liam said with a deadpan expression, "No, I'm just wondering what the odds are of Isabella choosing the same day to visit Paris." My eyes suddenly grew wide. My stomach churned. I wanted to rest for the remainder of the flight. I bid Liam farewell.

I placed my seat in the recline position, closed my eyes and began to doze off. Soon thereafter, scattered pictures appeared before me. They grew more intense with each passing breath. I slowly slipped into a deep and calming sleep. My awareness, now far from the skies above Japan, began to focus on a shallow body of water. It sounded as refreshing as it looked. I dipped my hands into the water below. It was cool to the touch. A sense of peace swept throughout my core. I could have stayed in that place, but I was drawn to a light off in the distance. As I walked toward it, the water began to ripple. The ground quickly gave way and the water fell into abyss. There was no longer anything beneath my feet, and yet, I myself did not fall. I reached out and touched the light. A rush of emotions filled my being. Love and compassion abound. That which I saw next appeared to be a park of sorts. There were individuals moving about swiftly from place to place. Buildings appeared to stand before me, but were not consistent. They too moved about from place to place. I tried to call out to an individual. They ignored me as they passed away. I waited for a building to come into focus before entering. An apparent facility for education. A number of individuals had gathered to learn about a forthcoming time in the history of Earth. How I knew this, I could not say. They formed a circle and began to channel their energy. The Earth appeared as it did in the late twenty-first century. Many some years after the awakening. A wide range of societies had collapsed, but the greed and corruption was all but extinguished. Humanity had returned to a simpler time. With the wisdom of nature and those individuals beyond the veil, mankind set out on a new course. I wished to learn more, but from somewhere beyond the circle, a voice called out, "We are now making our final approach into Paris..."

Part 2: Arrivées (Arrivals)

As the flight landed in the Paris Spaceport, I reopened the window to catch my first real glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. The sun's rays cast a marvelous shimmering light around the tower. It would be nightfall before long, and yet, the day still felt new. I made my way to the street - picking up a map of the city along the way. I was taken aback by the jazzy café music in the nearby outdoor marketplace. A number of fashion shoppes and bistros lined the street. Some of the clothing items were quite unique from that of Japan. I thought about buying a scarf. As I came upon a French coffee shop, I stopped to smell the flowers. Their aroma was a treat for the senses. The special of the day was the Café Latte. I had always been a tea connoisseur, but I enjoyed the fine coffee scent. I was so distracted by the beauty of the marketplace, I failed to realize it was devoid of patrons. I entered the coffee shop with the hopes of speaking to its owner. Much to my surprise, not a soul was to be found. My eye caught something strange on a nearby table as I was about to leave. Scribblings. They appeared to be written in haste and read, "La seconde venue est sur nous. Faites la paix maintenant." I could make out very little, but I was certain "seconde" was second. I returned to the outdoor marketplace and slowly made my way back the way I came. I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard a woman's voice call out, "Pōru! It's nice to see you again!" It was none other than Isabella. Her flight had arrived a short time after mine. She said in a kind voice, "Liam contacted me mid-flight. He told me you were here. It's a small world!" I had always had strong feelings for Isabella, but until that very moment, we had only ever met in Plutonium. I approached her and mustered the courage to say, "Hi, Isabella! Are you sure you didn't just come to see me?" Isabella said with a grin, "Cute. Do you happen to know where all the people are? The marketplace looks deserted." I said while surveying the area, "If I had to guess, I would say a congregation is underway somewhere."

A kind lady outside the marketplace told us where to find the missing populace. They had ventured to the park beyond Avenue Paul Séramy. She would have joined us, but was on the lookout for a very special item. "With a word, I can get what I came for," she said with confidence. The sun set over Paris as Isabella and I came upon Avenue Paul Séramy. I spotted an array of lights gleaming in the distance. Along the way, we passed a virtually empty parking lot. It made me wonder what we might find when we arrived at our destination. The avenue came to an abrupt end and we continued into a plaza-like area. Something was very familiar about the place. A few large scale shops appeared to our right. As we approached an unattended gate, Isabella shouted with glee, "Disneyland!" My city map had provided a significant clue, but I was trying to savor the surprise. Isabella and I slid past the turnstile and made our way onto Main Street U.S.A. There was a strange aura about the place. The ragtime music was nowhere to be heard. Some of the street lights were flickering on and off. A light breeze carried trash particles about. The company we sought had gathered in the central plaza and surrounding areas of the park. There was so much chatter, it was difficult to make out a single conversation. I decided to interject with a simple "bonjour!" A bearded man turned to me and said in plain English, "Are you looking for someone or trying to send them on their way?" I took a brief step back. I was not certain how to best answer that question. I had a feeling this would be a night for the ages...

Part 3: Seconde Vue (Second Sight)

I took Isabella's hand, fearing I may lose her in the crowd, and began a march toward Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Known in France as Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant. I managed to overhear a few things as we pressed through. One woman said with joy, "Remember the good times we spent together?" A man said enthusiastically, "I still have that scarf!" A young boy said in grief, "Why do you have to leave again?" An old lady, weary from a long life, said, "Please wait for me, will you?" Isabella and I ducked under the castle. As we stood against a wall, I heard a French rendition of When You Wish Upon A Star being pumped out from a nearby speaker. It was there, under the castle so bright, Isabella asked who I had seen that fateful day. I turned to her and said with a hint of sadness, "Just my father, but it was merely a dream." Isabella smiled and said, "I saw my aunt. She looked like her old self. Before she fell ill. She told me to wait in the park for a man named Refael. He gave me some sage advice about life and convinced me to take this trip." I gave Isabella a blind stare and said, "Refael? My mother told me to wait for such a man. I met him in my father's cemetery. He also gave me some advice." Isabella said curiously, "What are the odds of that same man being in two places simultaneously? There's your ghost for you!" With open eyes, I said in shock, "My mother... she must have known." I once again took Isabella's hand, and together we pressed onward into Fantasyland - the happiest kingdom of them all. The crowds grew thicker the further into the park we ventured. I tried to prepare myself mentally for whatever awaited us.

Electricity filled the air as Isabella and I entered Fantasyland. Several of the attractions' lighting fixtures began to pulse brightly. A series of sparks rang out from the nearby lampposts. We quickly took shelter on a crowded Lancelot's Carrousel. While we spun around Fantasyland, I held Isabella close to my chest. We did not share a single word. Our eyes were intensely drawn to the sight before us. It was as if the park suddenly came alive for a dazzling display of light. The castle became more illuminated as a number of attractions went dim. In the back of my mind, I could hear a familiar voice say, "It's now or never, Pōru!" I turned to face Isabella, took a deep breath, closed my eyes and planted a kiss on her lips. Sleeping Beauty's Castle went dark as the park transformers exploded. Lancelot's Carrousel came to a complete stop. In our moment of passion, I lost the sensation of everything that which surrounded us. The rest of the park just slipped away. It was pure magic. Truly, it was unlike anything I had ever experienced in Plutonium. As I opened my eyes, Isabella said with a smile, "And here I thought you didn't know anything about romance!" As we looked outward, we were stunned by what we saw. Disneyland Paris was illuminated with the energy of the departed. Their vibrant auras were visible to me for the first time. Sparkles of light floated past Isabella and I. It was a most mesmerizing sight to see. And yet, I could not help feeling somewhat disappointed. My father loved this place. I was certain he would be here...

TO BE CONCLUDED IN CHAPTER 4: FIN (END)!

As Chapter 3 comes to a close, the dreamers of the night unite...





Chapter 4: Fin (End)
Now with more magic tricks than David Copperfield!

Part 1: Découverte (Discovery)

Light. Pōru was surrounded by light. The auras of those trapped in-between dimensions. A most unusual set of circumstances had led to this fateful day. It was truly a strange yet wonderful shift in human consciousness. Pōru now stood on the verge of discovery. That of the universe and the many secrets within himself. On that eventful night, Pōru and Isabella fell into one another's embrace. Their love gave them the gift of second sight and they now had an amazing opportunity standing before them. In the court of a place so enchanting and magical. Pōru and Isabella resolved to help as many people as they could that night. They ventured forward from the darkened Lancelot's Carrousel and made their way deeper into Fantasyland - with the light of the spirits as their guide. A young girl cried out for her grandmother. Isabella said with tenderness, "Where did you last see your grandmother?" The girl said with tears in her eyes, "Near Peter Pan's Flight!" Isabella picked up the girl and together they flew toward Neverland - metaphorically speaking. Pōru said with assurance, "I think this flight is cancelled. Do you see your grandmother?" The girl said with a smile on her face, "There she is. There!" She pointed to one of the many auras illuminating the night. Their special bond drew them close. Pōru and Isabella came face to face with the girl's departed grandmother. She said with joy, "Ami! You know I don't like to see you run off like that!" Ami said happily, "I know... I'm sorry! Can we see the pirates now?" She took her grandmother's hand and they ventured into Adventureland. Pōru said in surprise, "I didn't expect this night to turn out like this! Did you, Isabella?" Isabella remained silent.

Pōru briefly considered entering into the wilds of Adventureland, but there appeared to be quite a bit of commotion in the vicinity of Discoveryland. Disneyland Paris' rendition of Tomorrowland. Pōru and Isabella decided to take a closer look. As they entered the area, Pōru said in awe, "Is that what I think it is?" A few clever souls had managed to temporarily power one of the rides. Isabella said with a glow about her, "Space Mountain." The Jules Verne inspired dome flickered. The music skipped a beat. Pōru said with just a hint of fear, "Should we?" Isabella took Pōru's hand and they entered the line for a very ghostly Space Mountain. The tunnel leading to the loading area pulsed dimly, the displays were filled with static and the ambient music played in reverse. Before long, Pōru and Isabella found themselves next in line. Without a ride attendant, they quickly took a place in the first row. A twelve year old boy standing in the second row said in despair, "I wanted us to ride in the front!" His father, one of the departed, said with assurance, "It's okay, son. We will next time." Pōru said with a smile, "Take our spot. I used to ride Space Mountain all the time with my father." Pōru and Isabella switched places with the father and son. As they boarded the ride, Pōru felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. He thought to himself, "Was this really such a good idea?" The car suddenly pushed forward into the darkness ahead. It came to a stop on a lift hill surrounded by electricity. Pōru was almost certain that was not part of the ride experience. Everyone glued to their seats as the vehicle jettisoned into the mountain. The air was spine-chillingly cold. Stars whizzed by at the speed of light. Asteroids came and went from view. There was the unmistakable sound of laughter throughout the dome. It was dark and most certainly eerie, but at least the music had a good beat. Riders careened past a tunnel of swirling neon lights filled with bright flashes. Upon returning to the terminal, Pōru happened to notice the twelve year old boy's departed father had vanished. The boy quietly exited the ride - leaving Pōru and Isabella feeling his sorrow...

Part 2: La Obliger (The Force)

A long time ago in a home outside Kyoto, Pōru lived a simple but happy life with his parents, Mike and Noemi. Until his Tokyo departure following his father's death in 2052, he knew very little of the outside world. Isabella never knew her parents. She spent her childhood between homes. Much of it with her aunt. She was, however, always a very bright young girl. Isabella jumped at the opportunity to work with Liam on Project Dandelion. Now, here they were in Paris - the city of love - on the most romantic night in history. Magic could be felt throughout the land. That which awaited our duet at the exit of Space Mountain was nothing short of astonishing. The crowds and their departed had begun a march toward the adjacent park's The Force Land. Pōru and Isabella joined them on their pilgrimage. A second trip on Space Mountain was out of the question. The clever souls powering the attraction had also joined the march. It went completely dark as they made their way onto Main Street U.S.A. Isabella said to Pōru, "I have a bad feeling about this." He merely shrugged his head. Everyone packed into the turnstiles and crossed the esplanade into Disneyland Paris' third gate. The Force Land was surrounded by sheer rock cliffs. A seedy spaceport filled with shopping and dining options stood in the midst of the land. It would normally project an overlay of ships into the night sky, but at present, there was no power source. Pōru turned to Isabella and said, "Liam would love this." She replied candidly, "Liam? I think his father, Mark, would be the envious one right now!"

Temporarily powering a single attraction was one thing, but an entire land was another. The spirits were growing tired from their earthly journey. They could just barely bring power to the cantina. With an experience in electrical requirements, having previously worked with Mark to create Plutonium, Isabella offered to assist in restoring power to the darkened land. She turned to Pōru and said with determination, "See if you can find any backup generators in the backstage area. Disney must keep things like that around." As he ventured where no tourist had gone before, a young girl slowly approached Isabella. She stopped and stared into Isabella's eyes for a moment. In a tender voice, she said, "Gram Gram's went home." It was Ami from earlier that evening. Isabella gave the young girl a hug and said, "It will be okay. I don't know how yet, but it will be okay." Pōru found himself on a cast member access road behind The Force Land after having successfully picked a locked door. In other words, he forced the door open with a little leverage. He entered into one of the storage rooms and said, "Damn is it dark in here." A brightly lit soul appeared just in time to light Pōru's way. Hanging from the wall were props for all forty seven Star Wars films. It was quite a marvel to behold. There were also Marvel Land props. Pōru found four unused generators laying on a nearby table. He used a pushcart to carefully wheel them back to Isabella. She had already made fast work of two electrical access panels by the time of his return. A few energetic spirits had also managed to bring temporary power to Flight of the Millennium Falcon.

With the four generators safely attached, everyone gathered around Pōru and Isabella. Both the living and the dead. A few street lights flickered as the generators struggled to start. There was a faint rumbling sound off in the distance. Isabella knew it was not nearly enough power. In the spirit of Disneyland, she said aloud, "Think happy thoughts. If you believe, it will be! Trust in the magic of the night!" She proceeded to cross her fingers tightly. Everyone thought about their happiest moments with friends and family. An intense euphoria filled the land. Pōru and Isabella felt goosebumps up and down the back of their spines. The generators may not have been enough, but the power of the human spirit had no equal. Suddenly, the street lights began to pulse brightly, and soon enough, the night sky once more illuminated with X-Wings, Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers. The real kick, however, came when the music finally revved to life! Everyone looked onward with starry eyes while holding the hand of their departed loved one. The goosebumps intensified. Electricity again filled the air. The Earth began to vibrate. Pōru thought it to be an earthquake, but it was merely the manifested energy of the crowd. Bright flashes basked The Force Land in a magnificent white light. A number of people shouted, "C'est beau!" It is beautiful. Tears of joy were collectively shed. Pōru took the opportunity to once again kiss Isabella. As he held her in his arms, he said with a smile, "I wish I could hold you here in this moment forever!" As pure light surrounded them, I extended my consciousness and offered a clearer glimpse into the dimensions beyond Earth. Sometimes, just saying que sera, sera is not sufficient...

Part 0: Home

"Let go... be free," a voice instructed from somewhere beyond. Refael is just one of his many names. Those previously trapped between planes passed freely into the ether. A dense, unending region of innerspace populated in sole by oscillating soundwaves and auras of bright light. Often overpowering to newcomers, they encompass a rich and full color spectrum. Many of which would never be visible to the naked human eye. In such a dizzying place, it is very easy to lose one another and become lost. However, with the power of love, there are no barriers. Pōru and Isabella bore witness as many of the spirits came to a rest in The Reception Center, otherwise known as The Park. A place created by a hive of enlightened minds to ease the trauma of those recently departed from physical reality. A wondrous place with centers for education, life review and even humor. It is very much like a college campus, but the grass is greener than anything on Earth, and there is a certain spark of energy about the air. Some of the spirits instead found their way to belief system territories. Places more suited to their own perspectives. The Universe is an equal opportunity employer, and everyone eventually winds up where they are most needed.

The veil lifted on a high and very scenic plateau. A golden gate extended over the edge. Beyond which were a sea of sun drenched clouds. Pōru and Isabella stood and watched as a number of spirits entered the gate. The sight grew more majestic by the moment. One spirit suddenly approached Pōru and said with a bright glow, "I forgot to thank you. For letting my son and I ride in the front row on Space Mountain. That was a truly exhilarating experience! I... I have a feeling this will surpass that." The spirit entered into the gate. A soothing melody began to flow outward from the sea of clouds. It brought peace and contentment to Pōru and Isabella. Another spirit approached and said with an even brighter glow, "Thank you for the kindness you showed my granddaughter, Ami! You truly have hearts of gold! Please let her know I enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean, even if our cherished time together was cut short." The spirit entered into the gate. The melody intensified in strength. Pōru and Isabella felt a strong wind current. It blew them back until they could no longer see the gate nor the plateau. They were left with the sounds of ocean waves.

Pōru and Isabella found themselves standing on a beautiful beach. There was a shimmering sparkle about the water. Sailboats were present in a variety of colors. There were even exotic fish hopping from the depths. One of them took to the air like an eagle and sailed into the horizon. Pōru had the eerie sense he had been here before. Glancing down the shoreline, he spotted a familiar looking individual peering the other direction. Isabella said with a smile, "Go to him. I'll wait here." Pōru slowly approached the individual. His hands shaking profusely. His eyes widened. Pōru stopped and stared for a moment. He shouted with tears in his eyes, "Father!" I turned to face Pōru. We locked eyes for a few precious seconds. With a happy heart, I said, "That was certainly a fun adventure, Pauly." I paused briefly and said, "What, did you think I was going to remain silent?" Pōru said with tears of joy, "You were there?" I tenderly said, "Every minute!" Pōru quickly rushed in for a long overdue hug. As he peered into the waters, he said with love, "This is some place you have here." I said with a chuckle, "It's not mine." I gestured to the bearded individual near the dock of infinite proportion. He glanced back with sun graced eyes and a smile as big as the moon. In another life, I knew him simply as Dad. Pōru looked into my eyes and said, "There's just one thing I need to know. What caused the sudden sightings?" I looked back with the brightest of glows and said, "When you want something bad enough, nothing can stand in your way. So long as you have love in your heart. Please, Pauly, tell your mother not to worry. Life is a cosmic journey. It's best to enjoy it while it lasts. Yours has only just begun." Pōru was reluctant to leave, but Isabella was waiting for him. He returned to her with the hope of a bright tomorrow. It had certainly been anything but just another day. This bewildering yet heartwarming adventure had come to a close...

TO BE CONTINUED IN JUST ANOTHER DAY 3D!

As Chapter 4 comes to a close, regret not. Life is a cosmic journey...





Epilogue: The day began unlike any other. Pōru and Isabella woke under Sleeping Beauty's Castle, nestled safely in one another's arms, having made their way back through Main Street U.S.A. sometime in the night. "The Walt Disney Company confirmed this morning that many of its parks would remain closed today. A massive cleanup is underway following a day of unrest among park visitors. One notorious guest in the Paris-based resort busted into a backstage area and stole several pieces of Star Wars merchandise," a news anchor said while reading from his teleprompter. Pōru said with a smile, "I'm going to find us some coffee." Isabella said in surprise, "Coffee? I thought you were a tea drinker?" Pōru said firmly, "After a day like that, I need something stronger than tea!" The news anchor continued with his report, "The hysteria which swept the globe yesterday appears to be, at least for the time being, subsiding. There are still sporadic reports of ghost sightings, but none of them have been verified. Up next, your local weather forecast. It's going to be a scorcher!"

Dedicated to the dreamers, the adventurers and explorers. Life can sometimes be a perilous plunge, but there is power in the human imagination. As a child, I could entertain myself for hours. The worlds I created in my head served as my escape from a harsh school environment. I was an enigma to the teaching staff. Life is indeed a cosmic journey. And each and every one of us has a unique opportunity. Not defined by creed, gender, race or even money, but by the content of one's character - the amount of love in their heart. In a world filled with unspeakable hatred, it is a useful quality to possess. As for whatever may actually lie beyond death's door... just enjoy the ride. It will be over soon enough and it would be a shame to miss anything.

Mark's Testimonial

Well, I finally got some quiet time to read JAD2. I wish I would have read it sooner, it is a great story, possibly the most enjoyable of your writings. I planned to read a Chapter at a time, but after the crazy ending to Chapter 1, I decided I needed to read it all in one sitting.

I should have guessed that the kids would be visiting Disney, and Disneyland Paris was a great choice this time around. I like the visual details you put into everything, including The Force Land, of which Mark is very envious that he couldn't be there! Most importantly, I liked that you kept the father/son connection as your main underlying story, which was really well done, as usual.

I hope that you've been getting some positive reactions about JAD2 from other friends, as well. Also, I wonder who was stealing the SW merchandise...

No comments: